Friday 2 August 2013

A World With No Music

I recently said my shahada into Islam and I am having a problem about music being haram.

I didn't have a problem with it initially because I was probably a bit bored with what I was listening to anyway and so I didn't miss not having music in my life. Then I went to see a choir with some old bloke I know. He lost his wife and didn't go out at all so I said I would go with him as I never have seen a choir before.

Omg the noise they can make when they sing together is amazing to feel it in your body as they sing. It literally vibrates in your whole body and the quality of the sound was sick!! The arrangement of the music I loved that, the different parts each group was singing that all blended together and also the depth of overall sound with the lightness and heaviness of their tones. I friken loved it!

But then I know that music is haram. If people have lovely voices then use them to recite the Qur'an. That is what Islam says which I agree, is a beautiful thing.

How can all this creativity be so wrong? I don't get that.

Music can be used for destructive purposes sure but it can also be used for such good. Even in my work at a residential care home, the experts suggest we should sing to the residents as we feed them or dress them, as it is something that connects to people even when they have dementia. I can see that it total helps. This one lady in bed, can't swallow much, def on her way out of this world, actual smiles when I sing something even like a baby rhyme to her or some old retro song. She squeezes my hand and cracks a smile.

I loved that feeling I had when I listened to the choir. It was immediate and fresh. I loved the creativity of it and that, even though its not the stuff I would listen to regular, because it was such a good example of a choir, I could appreciate the same quality in that, as I would any other music that I actual liked. It just moved my deepest self; it was like being lost in some experience with no one else present.

Maybe that's why it's haram, because of the power music has, to affect us.

2 comments:

  1. music has always been a problem to religious authority because it's power is much more than any "god". That's why it was banned in virtually every religion at one time. No offense intended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. none taken. It's not music that's powerful but our emotions and the power we give to it. That's what I have further thought. One song or piece can move one person but it can leave another person turned off.

    ReplyDelete