Tuesday 23 June 2015

Some randoms in my life who made a difference.

The man who lived near me in Bristol who walked up the escalator on every second step. OCD he told me after I asked him a million times what was up with him. He told me some of his life and I told him some of mine. He disliked me at first, annoying, and kept telling me to mind my own business. We were very similar both had challenges in life. I was bold but he was reserved. I knew him before I went back home for that one week and I knew him after I went back into care and couldn't speak any more. I went to the same places but I couldn't talk to him but I still turned up knowing I would see him. I remember sitting in the mall in silence with him. He knew something was badly wrong and didn't ask me but he touched my hair (in a nice way) and told me I would be ok.

Crazyass family I stayed with over one Christmas. Didn't overload me with meaningless gifts but the mum made me a pencil case with my name embroidered onto it. Loved it so much.

Police Officer who picked me up so many times when I ran away. He sat talking to me several times in his car about anger management and my aggression. Got one shop to drop the charges against me for shop lifting if I agreed not to return to that shop. I wasn't ready to listen but he did really try to help me.

Woman at the bus stop who told me I looked so pretty and when I asked her in what way, she told me specifically what she liked about my features ha! Embarrassing, her answer but it was so lovely to be told that by someone.

The social worker who enrolled me at kick boxing classes. "Less talking; more action" she used to tell me. I told her "You first" and so then I had to turn up at these dumb classes. It proved to be a lifeline for me and gave me confidence not to carry a knife any more.

The dumbest mongral cat who used to sit meowling at the window of an empty shop! We swapped food for affection and the occasional bath in my sink. It was a good trade.

A teacher at a school in Liverpool. She was a rubbish teacher but a nice person. Kind, consistent and not preoccupied. 100% attention. I felt valued in her company.

A Muslimah who introduced me to Islam. Not easy to talk about your religion but I am thankful to Allah (subhana wa ta ala) that she did.

My online 'Grandad' who encourages and challenges me.

Radio presenter. Warm, friendly smartass, inclusive, compassionate and very clever. Listening to him helps my vocabulary and critical thinking.

We can all make a difference to someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment