Tuesday 15 December 2015

Health is Wealth

Someone told me this recently "Health is wealth" and I thought it was weird as I'd not heard the saying before. No wonder, as in my society and culture if you're sick, the welfare system catches you. Where as in many other countries, there is absolutely nothing. I've never had to think of that before imagining myself in that situation. As rubbish as my situation was growing up, I had something.

I've been thinking about nothing else much all this week. What if there was nothing, no cash because of illness and no work, no doctor to see without cash, no roof over my head or any prospect of one soon, no school to go to, no medicine even for the simplest infection.

Living somewhere in the world where, if you are sick, you cannot work and therefore you do not eat and if you are really sick, you are not only poor but, you most likely will not live.

It's not news to me how difficult it is for people in other countries.

I just didn't consider it as a reality for me before, just as a fact of others' lives for which I felt enormous sympathy.

If that was my reality, sympathy wouldn't feed me or clothe me or get me medicines.

No comments:

Post a Comment