Wednesday 11 November 2015

Militant Muslimah

I have had an on/off relationship with my niqab (nose/mouth covering).

Ever since I became a Muslim, I have always worn hijab (head-scarf) and ababya (long black dress) while out and about. While I was preparing to get married, I found out that my future husband preferred his wife to wear niqab, which I was happy to do.

Since I got divorced, I removed my niqab.

The thing I noticed is that when I took my niqab off, I haven't had any harassment from abusive people when I am out in public like I had when I wore it. You might think I would be happy about this, but I am really vexed and determined actually, as I know other women are going through awful cowardly abuse for being Muslim when they are out in public. Mostly from chav men, sometimes women,

So I decided to start wearing my niqab again and I would urge other sisters who want to wear it, to do so as well. Why should any of us have to be made to feel uncomfortable for being Muslim in the UK in these days!? It's outrageous and as Muslim women and sisters, we need to fight against it. These are some of the incidents I personally know of that have happened to women.

spitting
touching private areas as they pass
pulling hard on hijab to try and remove it
pushing over
abusive comments "paki whore"
"filthy Muslim bitch"
"ISIS whore"
"traitor"
"f*****g terrorist"


  • Every girl needs to be trained in basic physical self-defense.
  • Every girl needs to carry a small spray can of anti-vandal paint. Apparently it stains the skin so badly for a few days so, sprayed on the face of the abuser it will leave a bad mark
  • Every girl needs to report every incident to the police. I know it's bare long and they don't always do anything but it will help with the stats at the end of the years and flag these incidences as an issue in society.


I tell you this now though, the next man who spit on my clothing, InshaAllah will wish he had not. I have had enough of ignoring it.

No comments:

Post a Comment