Tuesday 27 October 2015

Goldilocks and the Three Bares


Goldilocks: I hate some kids books; cars that talk, pigs that dance, caterpillars that eat cake....I have only recently become more aware of kids books since I had a baby and I am not impressed with their quality at all. I think the author missed an opportunity with the caterpillar book in that, they could have taught kids all about the various leaves in the world that the caterpillar might have eaten. Kids could have learned something true and useful while also being captivated by the lovely story and the enchanting illustrations.

Bare Lying: Why do people lie to kids and call it imaginating? Kids can't differentiate between truth and make-believe at such a young age. They believe eveything you tell them until they realise one day that it's not true. You can fantasise without it being factually incorrect. I remember Molly's Farm about the adventures of a cat on a farm. Mog & Bunny about a cat in a family and what they all get up to. Here's a little Baby 123.... about peeking through the window and seeing what the family is up to. There are some seriously lovely books out there without anything stupid in them.

Bare Letdown: What happens when the kid gets older and realises that motor vehicles can't talk. Old toys don't come to life and the princess doesn't always have a 18 inch waist with legs up to her ears! Give them real and then let them use their imagination, don't give them lies and call it something else. Do you think that any of this early information has anything to do with so many teenagers chasing after fame and celebrity? I do, after being fed a diet of make-believe crud when little, they get to adulthood and are not happy with real life? Of course! They want instant make-believe instead of hard work and reality.

Bare Funny: I don't think it would have been an acceptable excuse to tell my teacher that I was late for class or actually didn't turn up because in my fantasy, school started at a different time. She would have had a fit, not praised me for my imagination. Or that I was sailing on my way to Mauritious for a long vacation and had permission from the wicked head teacher who banished me to a land of pink grass and no dogs. Somehow I think her actual detention would have spanked me back to reality.

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Funny insight Poppy. Have you ever considered writing a children's book? You might find you're good at it.

      Delete
    2. Funny insight Poppy. Have you ever considered writing a children's book? You might find you're good at it.

      Delete
    3. Is there a echo in here...?

      Umm...no...and....I don't think so.

      Delete
    4. What do you mean echo? It's an* btw

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. drberks replied twice.....hense echo, lol

      Delete
    2. Oh right. It's *hence* lol smh

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bunch of girls removing comments lol. I read it before you removed it anyhow. There wasn't nothing wrong with it.

      Delete
    2. I removed it only because it wasn't complete Pops. Anyway I"m surprised you used the term "girls" in such a derogatory stereotype manner, maybe it's just a bad habit.

      Delete
    3. Yeah I surprised myself... my fail. Thanks for pointing that out... no seriously.

      Delete
    4. Keep growing Pops,keep growing I'm a little sad I won't be around to see you in full bloom.....

      Delete