Tuesday 11 August 2015

LBC: JO'B, Women and What Influences Their Choices.

I have just got off air with Mr James OB discussing the story of the 20 yr old woman who drowned in Dubai 19 years ago, because her dad told some life guards not to rescue her as he didn't want them to touch her, fearing she would be dishonoured.

In Islam, when a person's life is in danger it is permissible to do everything possible to save that person, male, female, gay, transgender, who cares, their life is in danger. This is what the father in this situation (if he was in fact, Muslim), did not fully understand.

The discussion quickly moved from the dad and his daughter, to women not being touched in Islam and the reasons for that, which several people, including me, tried to explain to James, is because 100% of a woman is awrah, which means forbidden. Unless of course you are her husband or in the case of being with her in a casual way, her family. 

I realise James has to make a show and 90% of that means he can't always stick with his own views and has to mix it up to cause more people to call in...and he's good at it. However, on this issue, regarding Islam, I really think he actually believes the stupidity that he was spouting. Get the podcast, it was truly alarming to me.

Does he believe that his own wife is allowed to choose who puts their hands on her and I am not allowed the same freedom of choice? That's what it sounded like to me. He kept saying "because God..." No, because I choose this religion! My choice and he has a problem with my choice.

Hypocritical.

On what basis does his woman choose? Atheism, Secularism, Christianity? It doesn't matter what influences her views and opinions on her decisions that she makes because James agrees with them.....so it's ok.

Mine...because he doesn't like what influences my choices, then somehow I am barking mad for choosing them and he "fears" for me. Patronising? A bit yeh.

So wherever James draws the boundary lines on his own personal space and his own reasons for those boundaries, and he will have some, he's married. He will have physical contact boundaries and verbal communication boundaries with the opposite gender....it's somehow ok because God isn't behind them?

What if I have the same boundaries as I have got now, but God wasn't behind them? Would that be ok? Would my choice then be acceptable as a woman? Nothing would have changed, just that Islam wouldn't be behind my choice.

He seems to have a problem with Islam, Hijab, women exercising their freedom in Islam, like a lot of people, because it doesn't fit with his stereotypical view of how he wants to catagorise Muslim women.

I am a confident woman, a Muslim, equal with my husband and in full control of my own life thanks.
Seriously, this is what I heard. I'm open to what anyone else heard.

Not one of his fav callers any more uh?

No comments:

Post a Comment